Planning Organizational Cultural Competence: an Experiential Training Series
Are any of the following true for you? If so, POCCETS is for you!
- You’re familiar with cultural competence but you’re not sure how it translates to an agency level
- You’re aware that organizational cultural competence is essential to providing high quality mental health services but need help with your efforts
- You want to ensure that all levels of staff are engaged in your agency’s cultural competence efforts
- You know the State requires you to have a Cultural Competence Plan, but you need help getting started
- You have a Cultural Competence Plan but you want to update it in a meaningful way
Planning Organizational Cultural Competence: an Experiential Training Series (POCCETS) employs a curriculum that will guide mental health agencies and self-help centers in northern New Jersey in improving organizational cultural competence. The curriculum is the result of a joint effort between CultureConnections and Proceed, Inc.’s National Center for Training, Support, and Technical Assistance, in which Proceed’s Organizational Cultural Competence Training Series curriculum was specifically adapted for mental health providers in New Jersey.
A multi-faceted, multi-level training series, POCCETS is designed to assist agencies and self-help centers with fulfilling the State requirement of having an organizational cultural competence plan. Whether your agency is updating an existing organizational cultural competence plan or developing one for the first time, POCCETS can provide the tools and technical assistance you need to achieve your goals.
Upon the completion of POCCETS, participating agencies will:
- Understand the United States Department of Health and Human Services’ Office of Minority Health’s Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services (CLAS) standards and their implications for mental health services delivery
- Assess their agency’s cultural and linguistic readiness, current practices, and available language resources as they pertain to mental health service delivery
- Learn how to operationalize the CLAS standards at the agency level
- Identify and pursue new or expanded community and service delivery partnerships
- Draft a meaningful organizational cultural competence plan to enhance agency cultural and linguistic competence as part of their ongoing journey
Training Schedule and Requirements
Enrollment eligibility is limited to staff of DMHAS-contracted mental health agencies and self-help centers in Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Hunterdon, Morris, Passaic, Somerset, Sussex, and Warren counties. POCCETS is offered to staff of these agencies free of charge.
POCCETS consists of 5 training modules in either face-to-face or webinar format over the course of 4 months. Participating agencies must commit to sending the minimum number of required staff attendees to each training module, however, we encourage agencies to send additional staff as suggested (outlined in the Training Schedule). CultureConnections will be available between training sessions to answer questions and provide additional individualized support and technical assistance.
Each POCCETS course was designed around the National Standards for Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services (CLAS) in Healthcare and will incorporate the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration’s (SAMSHA)’s Cultural Competence Standards.
Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Mental Health Service Delivery
You’ve heard the term cultural and linguistic competence, but what does it really mean? Click here for a more detailed description and objectives for Course 1.
Ongoing Assessment Practices
You know that cultural competence is an ongoing journey, and that quality improvement is an ongoing process, but how do the two intertwine? Click here for a more detailed description and objectives for Course 2.
Workforce Diversity: Cross-Cultural Relationships and Conflict Management
Many people view conflict as a two-dimensional construct involving the content of the conflict and the people involved, but did you know that there is a third dimension to consider? Click here for a more detailed description and objectives for Course 3.
Strategic Partnerships and Community Engagement in Mental Health Service Delivery
Have you noticed the growing emphasis on collaboration in the mental health field and wondered about its value? Click here for a more detailed description and objectives for Course 4.
Organizational Planning for Enhancing Cultural Competence in Mental Health Service Delivery
Are you ready to get started on your cultural competence plan? Click here for a more detailed description and objectives for Course 5.