Training and Conferences
Culture Connections offers training on various topics throughout the year in addition to an annual conference. Designed to strengthen individual and agency knowledge and skills in cultural competence, these events are free of charge to staff of all New Jersey DMHAS-contracted mental health agencies and self-help centers. Continuing education credits are available for social workers.
Priority and free registrations for our training and conferences are given to all of New Jersey’s Division of Mental Health and Addiction Services (DMHAS)-contracted mental health agencies and self-help centers. Please click on a county on the map to see a list of eligible organizations in that county. Click here for information on upcoming and past training events.
Technical Assistance (TA)
Culture Connections’ free, on-site, and customized technical assistance service is designed to help participating agencies and their leadership meet State contract requirements for cultural competence in a meaningful way; improve consumer retention rates and the overall quality of services; improve staff morale and decrease staff turnover, and; obtain buy-in from staff at all levels in order to improve organizational cultural competence.
Technical Assistance is provided to northern New Jersey DMHAS-contracted mental health agencies and self-help centers in the following counties: Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Hunterdon, Morris, Passaic, Somerset, Sussex and Warren. Please click on a county on the map to see a list of eligible organizations in that county.
Feedback from Technical Assistance Partners:
- “Working with Culture Connections is very helpful.”
- “I really enjoyed working with Culture Connections… it can help make us the most culturally sensitive and responsive outpatient mental health/social service agency exhibiting best practices in this area.”
- “We look forward to continuing this valuable partnership!”
Whether your agency is at the beginning stages of your journey toward cultural competence or more advanced, we begin with an initial consultation to discuss your agency’s strengths and history in cultural competence. From this, Culture Connections develops an individualized plan with your agency’s goals, the initial steps to take, and Culture Connections’ role in assisting you.
We can help agency leadership:
- Select Change Leader(s)
- Gather baseline assessment data to identify areas for progress
- Develop or enhance an existing plan to integrate cultural competence into all aspects of an organization
- Educate and strengthen your workforce
- Build processes to evaluate your efforts in a data driven way.
This assistance can include:
- Attending committee and treatment team meetings
- Providing you with needed tools, including organizational assessments
- On-site training to create a discussion around the roles and needs of all levels of staff around cultural competence
- Additional web-based TA opportunities through this website and Join Me/Zoom technology for online meetings as a means to create a forum for you to join with other agencies on the same journey
- And lending our experience from our own journey toward cultural competence at our agency.
For more information or to set up an initial consultation, please contact us by clicking here.